PinballX is currently a new project created at the end of May 2013 and is in active development.
Download PinballX here.
For support, and to get involved please head over to the PinballX forum.
LAV Filters are the recommended solution to support video playback and you can download a version here. If you are still using Windows XP download FFDSHOW here.
To add your tables use the included game list manager.
PinballX will benefit from a multi core CPU and a quad core is recommended if using multiple displays.
PinballX includes high score features thanks to PINemHi by Dna Disturber.
Online and remote access features are available at GameEx Online.
A Lite version of PinballX is also included specifically designed for windows tablets.
Modern and higher end hardware is highly recommended for pinball cabs with two or three screens due to the demands of multiple high resolution videos and constantly loading high resolution artwork. However, PinballX itself does not demand much itself and the lite version requires next to nothing to run.
Note: PinballX is not free for commercial use. You should contact us before including or using PinballX with your products.
- New feature to create all videos for a systems list. Available form the game manager.
- PinballX goes into lower process speed after launching.
- Fixes x64 install on Windows 7 and below.
Turning off hide DMD for a table now also works for real DMD displays.
I am pleased to announce the first ever 64 bit pinball front end.
This release of PinballX includes both 32 bit and 64 bit version of the software and components.
Your architecture is automatically detected.
However, the issue with 64 bit applications is that any libraries or plugins that interact with them also need to be the same architecture. Thererfore at this time several plugins and other versions of XDMD will not work with the 64 bit version until the authors update them. You can though force the installer to install the 32 bit mode via the included check box. If you are using the PinDMD2 version of XDMD or are using plugins at the time of writing you should select to force install the 32 bit version. Hopefully, fully x64 versions should be available soon.
Generally 64 bit applications are not that faster but there is benefit with multimedia applications such as PinballX as they process audio, display and video. Also, not that it should be required but the application can now use more memory.
I would like to take the time to mention that PinballX is not all my work. We are supported by a lively and loyal team of contributors and moderators.
In addition several components in PinballX, most notably the Setup Wizard are the work of Ben Baker of Headsoft. The software would not be the same without these additional components and the years of help and support from Ben.
Thank you. Enjoy!
Fix: Writes the correct backglass monitor to B2S screenres.txt
- Removed per system default images/videos from installer.
- Added global default backglass and topper mp4 videos to installer.
My third and final attempt at switching to SlimDX from Managed Direct X.
We basically had to lose full screen exclusive mode for this but even without this everything still runs much smoother in the front end. FPS is perfect for me and the new video framework also runs much smoother with this now.
- Improved screen grabbing and new video recording features.
- The screen grab key now grabs screen captures for all displays and will format them automatically and save them in the most suitable location. This backglass screen grab hot key has been removed as this now grabs everything.
- New video recording feature. Available via a hot key when a table is launched or direct from the Game Manager.
- Easily created front end media for your tables.
- Videos automatically formatted and encoded to the correct size, quality and format.
- Captures and records videos for all displays automatically encoding and formatting them for you. Driver based capture such as Geforce experience and ATI is supported for the playfield too.
- Also captures pinup topper videos/rendering if available along with directly capturing the PinMAME window if detected.
- New Setup Wizard French translation by Allan.
- Default images and videos are now available per system. No DMD.mp4 etc.
Includes DNA Disturbers latest PinEMHi.
This nifty add on provides and calculates high score output for the majority of PinMAME and Future Pinball tables.
Removed thread locking opening and disposing videos
I just wanted to remind folks that I do realise videos may load a little slower with recent releases but please be aware minimum system requirements for videos are now much lower and both 4k and 60fps videos are fully supported.
- Includes the latest version of Headsofts SetupWizard
- Multi language installer and setup wizard. Better translations of the setup wizard xml files are most welcome.
- Manageable global favorites list within the front end.
- Most played and last played lists.
- These new lists and system lists have been moved to a sub menu - Lists
- Fixes SWF instructions shrunk on backglass
So the second time I tried to move things to SlimDX has been another disaster for PinballX. So I've given up on it and rolled back again to Managed DirectX with this release. All should now be good in the world.
I believe I have resolved the conflict issues and the DirectX API library has been upgraded to SlimDX again.
In addition in this release all video rendering (as in video files) is now hardware accelerated. On modern systems this means 60fps and 4k videos should not be on an issue. On low end systems video playback should not slow anything down and you should get full fps in PinballX.
- Fixes exception checking
- Fixes a surface not being disposed
- Game Manager now has a feature to import all media from the PinballX download service for an entire system.
PinballX 2.60 released
Performance is significantly improved with this release
The DirectX library has been transitioned to SlimDX with help from Ben Baker
Bass audio library has been upgraded to the latest version
The limit on company logo images has been increased to 70 from 60
Startup audio and GameEx online is working again
New 'Launch' Keyboard and Gamepad control to immediaitly launch a game and skip the info screen.
A belated happy new year from me. Enjoy
View the full article
Introducing PinballX 2.50, GameEx and GameEx Arcade Edition 15.00
Big updates for the season.
These are mainly performance improvement related releases with general optimizations to key functions as well as rendering and the executable compiles.
This should hopefully result in better FPS and speed improvements throughout although obviously it will be more noticeable on lower end machines.
With GameEx several other areas have been improved for performance such as the Jukebox, loading Game Info, the Movie Library and getting Meta Data.
In addition the YouTube feature is now working again and the Move Library has been improved significantly. Getting Meta Data for the movie library is now much quicker to and downloading music artist and album images is working again.
I also made the decision to make the Media Library and DVD/BluRays on disk features free for all users and no longer a registered version feature.
I am toying with the idea of releasing a sub version of GameEx without gaming features, purely as a free HTPC solution. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
In preparation for the season I, and behalf of all of my loyal team and friends who work alongside me wish you all the best, happy thanksgiving, happy Hanukkah, Eid, Kwanzaa and Merry Christmas!.
View the full article
Allows non cabinet mode (grid select/send keys) for Pinball FX3
Sorry guys but I didn't update the game manger to allow the new Pinball FX 3 support in the product.
This is now resolved in this release.
PinballX 2.40 has been released and now officially includes integrated Pinball FX3 support.
This release has Pinball Arcade working again with the latest version of the software. Ensure to set the interface version as 4 in the Setup Wizard.
Pinball Arcade Camera Mod is now directly supported as the launch target instead of the Pinball Arcade Executable and direct table launch is supported. This is automatically detected if the executable is the camera mod and the -table [TABLEFILE] parameters are used. Ensure that PinballX runs as administrator when trying to use the camera mod. Here is what the settings should like for direct table launch with the camera mod. Otherwise the latest version of Pinball Arcade is supported using grid selection with this release.
Pinball FX is now also forcibly killed for those of you that had to have a launch after to kill the process. This should no longer be required.
Pinball FX 3 release is just over a day away. I don't have access to a Beta but I am told these settings work with the Beta with cabinet support enabled:
WorkingPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
Parameters=-applaunch 442120 "-table_[TABLEFILE]"
This release adds support for Pinball Promo videos.
There are videos on the FTP. http://ftpbrowse.gameex.com/-PinballX-/Media/Promo Videos/
PinballX 2.37 released.
This release just adds text for other systems in the Setup Wizard to state that MAME compatible XML game lists can be created with GameEx.
- Fixes game manager overwriting wheel image when doing bulk online import and set not to overwrite.
- If not set to hide when in game, topper, dmd and blackglass videos will now try and play with any system assuming its not a visual pinball game and an image match is available. Results will vary.
This release contains an updated game manager which extends upon the 2.33 versions new feature to import all media for a table online at once by adding the ability to skip existing files and continue downloading media.
PinballX was developed by Spesoft and Headsoft