PinballX was created at the end of May 2013 and is in active development.
Download PinballX here.
For support, and to get involved please head over to the PinballX forum.
LAV Filters are the recommended solution to support video playback and you can download LAV filter codecs here. If you are still using Windows XP download FFDSHOW here.
To add your tables use the included game list manager.
PinballX will benefit from a multi core CPU and a quad core is recommended if using multiple displays.
PinballX includes high score features thanks to PINemHi by Dna Disturber.
Online and remote access features are available at GameEx Online.
A Lite version of PinballX is also included specifically designed for windows tablets.
Modern and higher end hardware is highly recommended for pinball cabs with two or three screens due to the demands of multiple high resolution videos and constantly loading high resolution artwork. However, PinballX itself does not demand much itself and the lite version requires next to nothing to run.
Note: PinballX is not free for commercial use. You should contact us before including or using PinballX with your products.
- Updated to latest .net 6 desktop runtime.
- Fixes for latest PinMAME and and window detection (thanks Mike_Da_Spike).
- Fixes gameplay, tutorial and promo videos orientation.
- Updated pinemhi.ini for better PinMAME ROM detection.
- Added requested feature to allow hiding mouse cursor optional.
- The .net 6 and .net 4 (XP and 32 bit) installers have been combined into a single installer.
- There is now just one download.
- This makes it easier and quicker for me to do releases and avoids confusion.
- To force the .net 4 install on 64 bit Windows 7 or newer set the compatibility to Windows XP or Vista.
- Fixed Setup Wizard input error.
- Updated all VC runtimes to latest versions so they don't require windows updates or create surplus temporary files.
- Update .net 6 runtime to latest.
- Removed all dependencies on .net framework 2 and it is no longer installed as part of the setup.
- Detecting aspect ratio of playfield videos is now done using the actual aspect ratio rather than video size.
- New HD vertical MAME videos with 60fps interpolation currently processing and available shortly.
- Minor updates and improvements to XDMD and real DMD video playback. Latest version.
- Fixes minor issue with filter group lists.
- Filter list groups now support and/& as well as previously or/|. NOTE: Don't use both on same match. Not supported.
Filter lists now support NOT (exclamation mark - !).
Also updated to latest .net 6 desktop runtime and added latest PinballX Documentaion.
In attempt to provide full configuration and access via GameEx Online with the web Setup Wizard for current and future projects the site now allows local directory and file browsing for remote paths. This will be also good for upcoming projects not on windows platforms. I learnt a little about jquery doing this for the popup browser on the site. This change requires an update to the client to work. I've also spent some time optimizing gameex.com and pinballx.com on Google page speed insights. So hopefully the sites should perform a little better for you on mobile devices. Note the remote browsing is a little slow as its client server. Ignore the large version change. This was because touch-play was updated recently with Sinden light gun support,
- Checking for new versions is fully automated and based on forum download version number.
- Supports all screenres.txt fields and the new comments.
- Basic backglass image overlay support.
- Fixes realdmd/dmddevice not shutting down.
Fixes Game Manager not detecting media.
God bless the King.
I've attempted to improve landscape setups and desktop mode in this release.
There is a new wheel list type in this release. Allowing the existing curved wheel and a new straight wheel. The straight wheel avoids filling the display with logos and obscuring the table video. By default (auto) it is straight in landscape and curved in portrait. Can be adjusted under display settings.
The first fairly significant update for a while. I've been enjoying life but do seem to have slowed down a bit.
It seems FullDMD videos are a new media addition in the scene now, following apngs as a new thing which I pioneered here.
PinballX now supports these and passing on the videos to play with Visual Pinball.
Its painless to setup if its your thing to go beyond traditional Pinball with a full 16/9 Full DMD display.
First you import your videos into the FullDMD videos folder. VPUniverse has quite a large collection now. Then you need to enable keep aspect/full DMD under DMD display settings. That should be it. The videos will play when you launch Visual Pinball and will be captured when recording videos to play in the front end. You may have issues with this feature in Windows 7 due to Direct3D display conflicts but I have not tested. I'm purely a windows 10 man right now and have not tested in a VM.
In audition there are various fixes in this release including the following:
Auto position b2s does not overwrite existing dmd settings. That will keep the freaks happy
Fixes use pinmame in front end
Fixes creating dmd screenshots.
Improved APNG support thanks to Scutters.
Thanks to @Mike_da_Spike fixes 4 out of the 6 bugs in the bug thread.
The pandemic, losing my mother during it and dwindling interest from others along with a different situation personally has prompted me to make some significant changes and me wanting to make things purely a hobby again, albeit funded by me.
Everything is now free, including all variations of GameEx, the FTP, artwork download and GameEx Online.
I want to do things purely for the glory, hobby and community, once again.
Hopefully it will bring some renewed interest and a better purpose for me, while not having to worry about taxes, EU red tape and not much income to show for it.
I want to enjoy my work and not compete on a commercial level with free products and a commercial product that spends large amounts of money on marketing and employees.
I also want to give something back. We are all riding off the back of other peoples work and efforts and I want to have more admirable intentions going forward. I was primarily inspired by MAME and that has always been free.
I can afford the cost and hopefully I will get some new support and renewed interest because of my good intentions and I can continue to be motivated, if not more so.
Thank you to everyone who ever purchased something from me and all the support over the years. There has been many high points such as products being shown on Shark Tank twice, Pinball hall of fame and being featured in numerous books, publications and cover disks (if you are old enough to know what they are!)
I have two new free GameEx products in the pipeline and I am in no way slowing things down. Its just time to mix it up again..
Hopefully you will support me in going free for all but if you just purchased and are unhappy feel free to contact me for a refund.
Its all about the hobby and always should be.
I would like to take a moment to show my thanks and respect to @Mike_da_Spike and @scutters for their numerous contributions to both the PinballX product and community over the last several years. On behalf of us all, thank you!
This release contains updated default DMD videos and the all new updated start to finish PinballX documentation by @Mike_da_Spike.
Thank you, and enjoy..
Announcing the latest incarnation of the PinballX front end. Currently in testing.
This version moves PinballX and most of the libraries to .net framework 5 (Previously .net core).
The reason is simple - significant performance improvements. It even starts up in half the time for an initial install.
It is currently an experimental release and its future is not fully not known yet.
Only Windows 10/11 64 bit is supported.
It can run along side the regular release of PinballX as long as installed in a different folder.
Lockdown Loco GameEx and Spesoft sale.
Everything half price until further notice.
Use coupon code: 7ACE8
View the full article
- Just needed to add a bit more code for the additional 20 system slots.
- Fixes menu applications settings
- Adds option to hide media (DMD, Backglass, Topper) for menu applications.
- Adds apng to wheel import in game manager. Enjoy.
- New menu applications feature. Add individual programs to the menu, accessible from the "Applications" menu item.
- Maximum amount of other systems has been increased to 60 from 40.
Auto position DMD honors Freezy DMDExt ignore aspect ratio.
- Fixes first frame of video not showing.
PinballX was developed by Spesoft and Headsoft