PinballX is currently a new project created at the end of May 2013 and is in active development.
Download PinballX here.
For support, and to get involved please head over to the PinballX forum.
LAV Filters are the recommended solution to support video playback and you can download a version here. If you are still using Windows XP download FFDSHOW here.
To add your tables use the included game list manager.
PinballX will benefit from a multi core CPU and a quad core is recommended if using multiple displays.
PinballX includes high score features thanks to PINemHi by Dna Disturber.
Online and remote access features are available at GameEx Online.
A Lite version of PinballX is also included specifically designed for windows tablets.
Modern and higher end hardware is highly recommended for pinball cabs with two or three screens due to the demands of multiple high resolution videos and constantly loading high resolution artwork. However, PinballX itself does not demand much itself and the lite version requires next to nothing to run.
Note: PinballX is not free for commercial use. You should contact us before including or using PinballX with your products.
I noticed the sleep before flipping/vsync made things less than silky smooth so I have removed this feature.
- Fixes display running too fast at high refresh rates.
- Wherever possible will use 1 to 1 pixel fonts instead of scaling them. Not only does this improve the quality but once loaded and cached improves performaces.
- New display setting to scale underlay images to the display size.
- Releases some cycles back to the CPU before flipping/vsync.
- Fixes game name not truncating on game info.
Stability fix (not disposing processes)
- Fixes underlays/overlays in system list.
- When overlaying company logos onto wheel logos will look for a png file if a gif is found.
- New visual pinball setting to allow a longer wait before timing out if the player window is not foreground when launching table.
This release auto detects portrait vertical playfield images and videos. Meaning the legacy HyperPin rotated flipped format is no longer a requirement.
This also allows media from other frontends to be used seamlessly.
Includes the latest version of PINemHi thanks to DNA Disturber (and a kick up the butt by Scutters!!)
- Fixes Future Pinball black screen.
- New feature to record videos to h265/hvec.
- Fixes NVidia encoding quality too high.
- NVidia CRF video encoding is now working as it should.
- New setting to set video quality for recording.
- Improved NVidia (h264_nvenc) encoding resulting in much smaller file size and better quality.
- Secondary displays use vsync on windows 8 and above.
All internal front end images and wheel logos now support animated GIF files.
Simply use a gif file instead of a png.
This does not extend to table/game media (backglasses, playfield etc) other than wheel images.
- Fixes recently added list.
- Can exit startup video by pressing gamepad button.
- New command line option to launch table.
pinballx.exe -launch "[table name]" "[system name]"
(table filename must be a table that is present in a database)
New GameEx online API. Control GamEx and PinballX from applications and the cloud. A front end first.
View the full article
Fixes IPDB database (since 4.11)
- Updated IPDB database. Latest releases and merged Bally tables.
- May also have some performance improvements.
- Support for Visual Pinball high scores for non PinMame tables.
- Compatibility support for DMDExt virtual DMD.
- Multiple file instruction cards now supported again.
- Fixes alpha page when only 1 table in list.
- Game Manager upgraded to .NET 4
- Project upgraded to Visual Studio 2019
- Full screen exclusive mode is working again, at least for me (super fast fps front end).
- Faster image and playfield video loading. Images now load using WIC. Playfield surface is created on a thread,
- Video captures are now optimized for streaming and nvenc encoding is reduced to 442 for compatibility..
- Some other optimizations and reduced code.
As always, enjoy!
Fixes video capture for non NVidia.
Further optimized video capturing, capturing playfield at the same time as other videos f you have a cpu with 5 or more threads and also avoiding additional transcodes.
Fixes nvidia driver capture when display is portrait.
Fixes delay exiting from table.
Fixes performance issue when navigation large lists.
Fixes company logo in desktop mode.
Fixes animated GIFs.
Desktop mode is now enforced if enabled, regardless of rotation.
Fixes b2s backglass behind form when returning from pause.
Fixes back glasses not showing on recent versions of Visual Pinball 10 and B2S server.
Video capturing now uses Nvidia hardware encoding if available greatly speeding up the process on capable systems.
New and improved table loading image support.
Animated GIFs are supported again and there are now two modes for loading images (configured under general settings).
You can use the existing loading image/video mode or the new playfield image mode. With the new mode it will either use a playfield image or take a snapshot of your playfield video. Then either use a default or one of your own animated gifs which is then overlayed and animated with a fade in.
The result looks pretty slick in my opinion and this is a highly requested feature.
Note that animated GIFs are now auto rotated if required and regular images at 0 degrees should be used. Note, if you have an unusually long animated GIF the number of frames may be clipped.
The fade in of loading images is now done on a thread and games may load a little quicker too. There are also some blitting optimizations to avoid slow done on a UHD 4k display.
- Fixes in game/pause
- Fixes exit game timer
B2S backglasses within front end now work on 64 bit version.
All plugins now work across all CPU architectures (x86 and x64) and the install now defaults to a 64 bit install.
PinballX was developed by Spesoft and Headsoft