PinballX is currently a new project created at the end of May 2013 and is in active development.
Download PinballX here.
For support, and to get involved please head over to the PinballX forum.
LAV Filters are the recommended solution to support video playback and you can download a version here. If you are still using Windows XP download FFDSHOW here.
To add your tables use the included game list manager.
PinballX will benefit from a multi core CPU and a quad core is recommended if using multiple displays.
PinballX includes high score features thanks to PINemHi by Dna Disturber.
Online and remote access features are available at GameEx Online.
A Lite version of PinballX is also included specifically designed for windows tablets.
Modern and higher end hardware is highly recommended for pinball cabs with two or three screens due to the demands of multiple high resolution videos and constantly loading high resolution artwork. However, PinballX itself does not demand much itself and the lite version requires next to nothing to run.
Note: PinballX is not free for commercial use. You should contact us before including or using PinballX with your products.
Adds support for specific .apng extension for wheel logos so they are not cached.
- Adds APNG support (animated PNG)
Requirements to participate.
- active subscription
- Game name, publisher and year must match exactly.
Updated every three hours (Its an expensive sql query)
New hardware accelerated video recording on windows 10. Does 60fps at 1080p and should work out the box on any windows 10 system. It can also record Future Pinball which has been a problem in the scene for some time.
Only known limitation is it wont record portrait display settings in Windows.
- When using a touchscreen, pressing down on the top left corner to exit system is working as expected.
- New custom system for exe files.
- Absolute file paths for game/rom files are supported.
Amount of other systems increased to 40.
- Fixes surplus custom lists showing.
(Note version jump is because of Touch-Play using same source code).
Adds, theme, comment and author fields to gamelist filter lists.
Fixes x64 Game Manager old version being included with installer.
(Version number jump is because of Touch-Play which uses the same source)
New custom filter game list databases. Create game lists based on filter criteria.
These are ini files located in the database folders and can be created on a per system basis or apply to all systems.
They can be created by creating a new list in the game list manager.
With this release the default hard coded filters have been removed.
- This is just an update to the installer to allow old Windows operating systems to be able to download the Visual Pinball installer.
Over 1,000 wheel logos available on the FTP and PinballX download service have been upscaled to a very high quality.
- Fixes game descriptions not always updating.
I noticed the sleep before flipping/vsync made things less than silky smooth so I have removed this feature.
- Fixes display running too fast at high refresh rates.
- Wherever possible will use 1 to 1 pixel fonts instead of scaling them. Not only does this improve the quality but once loaded and cached improves performaces.
- New display setting to scale underlay images to the display size.
- Releases some cycles back to the CPU before flipping/vsync.
- Fixes game name not truncating on game info.
Stability fix (not disposing processes)
- Fixes underlays/overlays in system list.
- When overlaying company logos onto wheel logos will look for a png file if a gif is found.
- New visual pinball setting to allow a longer wait before timing out if the player window is not foreground when launching table.
This release auto detects portrait vertical playfield images and videos. Meaning the legacy HyperPin rotated flipped format is no longer a requirement.
This also allows media from other frontends to be used seamlessly.
Includes the latest version of PINemHi thanks to DNA Disturber (and a kick up the butt by Scutters!!)
- Fixes Future Pinball black screen.
- New feature to record videos to h265/hvec.
- Fixes NVidia encoding quality too high.
- NVidia CRF video encoding is now working as it should.
- New setting to set video quality for recording.
- Improved NVidia (h264_nvenc) encoding resulting in much smaller file size and better quality.
- Secondary displays use vsync on windows 8 and above.
All internal front end images and wheel logos now support animated GIF files.
Simply use a gif file instead of a png.
This does not extend to table/game media (backglasses, playfield etc) other than wheel images.
- Fixes recently added list.
- Can exit startup video by pressing gamepad button.
- New command line option to launch table.
pinballx.exe -launch "[table name]" "[system name]"
(table filename must be a table that is present in a database)
PinballX was developed by Spesoft and Headsoft