PinballX is currently a new project created at the end of May 2013 and is in active development.
Download PinballX here.
For support, and to get involved please head over to the PinballX forum.
LAV Filters are the recommended solution to support video playback and you can download a version here. If you are still using Windows XP download FFDSHOW here.
To add your tables use the included game list manager.
PinballX will benefit from a multi core CPU and a quad core is recommended if using multiple displays.
PinballX includes high score features thanks to PINemHi by Dna Disturber.
Online and remote access features are available at GameEx Online.
A Lite version of PinballX is also included specifically designed for windows tablets.
Modern and higher end hardware is highly recommended for pinball cabs with two or three screens due to the demands of multiple high resolution videos and constantly loading high resolution artwork. However, PinballX itself does not demand much itself and the lite version requires next to nothing to run.
Note: PinballX is not free for commercial use. You should contact us before including or using PinballX with your products.
B2S backglasses within front end now work on 64 bit version.
All plugins now work across all CPU architectures (x86 and x64) and the install now defaults to a 64 bit install.
New launch/loading video support. Just place video files in media\loading videos.
GIFs caused pretty big performance issues and are no longer supported since videos are supported now. If you have existing GIFs you wish to still use just convert them to videos with something like Convert-It.
Again NOTE that I have a new code signing certificate and it will be untrusted by windows until it gets out in the wild a bit.
Fixes real DMD video memory leak.
Fixes Game Manager importing table, B2s and ROMs.
Improved loading of media while navigating (fixes lag).
When adding a table in the Game Manager by any method IPDB game data will be automatically searched for and added.
New basic menu mode option. This hides all menu items other than media.
NOTE: I have a new code signing certificate and windows will detect the installer as untrusted until it gets out in the wild a bit.
Several fixes and performance improvements along with a new recently added list.
- Fixes flash instructions memory leak.
- XDMD memory leak also seems to be resolved.
New systems wheel list. Configure under general settings.
Show a wheel list of your systems. Can optionally make it always show first at startup.
To use artwork for this new list place video or image files named "- system -" in the appropriate folder (backglass, table images/videos etc). eg. - system -.mp4
Also fixed a couple of performance issues.
Fixes flash instructions not loading after a few times.
View the full article
PinballX 3.43 released.
Fixes for Visual Pinball 10.
The PinballX executable files have been drastically reduced in size by using better library linking methods. Smaller EXE files are known to improve application startup time.
Allows Apron to display on playfield.
It seems positioning set for the backglass in the settings was being ignored. This is now fixed. If your backglass positioning is now off with this release check the positioning in the Setup Wizard and ensure it is correct.
Here is your opportunity to get GameEx Evolution and the rest of the lifetime package at half price.
Now half price until end of November to celebrate the recent release of GameEx Evolution.
You will also get a coupon for Emumovies lifetime at half price and the first 25 lifetime pruchases starting midnight black Friday get EmuMovies free.
View the full article
- Bug fixes
- Faster playfield image/video load.
- Improved startup speed
- Improved performance
- Startup video support for other displays. Look in Mediia\Startup Videos for information on how to use
- Hides the desktop better
- The PinballX application itself has been moved to the .NET framework 4 and SharpDX from 2 and SlimDX.
- Table audio is now loaded on a thread to improve fps in front end.
- Table, DMD and Topper images have improved upscaling/downscaling and loading them stops possible frame skips in front end.
Improved startup speed and other performance improvements.
- Can now rate a table within the front end.
- Company logos can be by a year or year range. Use the following in the filename: Bally (1980), Bally (-1980), Bally (1980-), Bally (1982-1988). There is also now no fixed limit on how many you can have.
- Automatically add new and missing tables. This feature is enabled or disabled under General Settings
- Current Pin2DMD support with the existing DLLs is broken now, so I have included new working versions with the installer. Select the option for Pin2DMD when installing.
- Fixes mouse wheel not working in game manager.
- The install now defaults to a 32 bit install, for both new installs and anyone upgrading from a release prior to this one. If you are not using the 32 bit version select the option on install. It caused numerous support issues previously and it just wasn't a good idea to default to 64 bit in hindsight.
Several nice new features in this release.
- Can now zero rate tables.
- Attract mode now shows high scores on your DMD
- Select and filter the game list by ratings.
- Fixes backglass images and swf instruction cards stretching to monitor size instead of honoring display position settings.
- Fixes PinDMD 2 and PinDMD 3 not working out of the box on 32 bit installs.
Fixes controls such as screen capture and in game not working when in game.
Apologies for the delay in getting to this.
- New feature to create all videos for a systems list. Available form the game manager.
- PinballX goes into lower process speed after launching.
- Fixes x64 install on Windows 7 and below.
Turning off hide DMD for a table now also works for real DMD displays.
I am pleased to announce the first ever 64 bit pinball front end.
This release of PinballX includes both 32 bit and 64 bit version of the software and components.
Your architecture is automatically detected.
However, the issue with 64 bit applications is that any libraries or plugins that interact with them also need to be the same architecture. Thererfore at this time several plugins and other versions of XDMD will not work with the 64 bit version until the authors update them. You can though force the installer to install the 32 bit mode via the included check box. If you are using the PinDMD2 version of XDMD or are using plugins at the time of writing you should select to force install the 32 bit version. Hopefully, fully x64 versions should be available soon.
Generally 64 bit applications are not that faster but there is benefit with multimedia applications such as PinballX as they process audio, display and video. Also, not that it should be required but the application can now use more memory.
I would like to take the time to mention that PinballX is not all my work. We are supported by a lively and loyal team of contributors and moderators.
In addition several components in PinballX, most notably the Setup Wizard are the work of Ben Baker of Headsoft. The software would not be the same without these additional components and the years of help and support from Ben.
Thank you. Enjoy!
PinballX was developed by Spesoft and Headsoft