PinballX is currently a new project created at the end of May 2013 and is in active development.
Download PinballX here.
For support, and to get involved please head over to the PinballX forum.
LAV Filters are the recommended solution to support video playback and you can download a version here. If you are still using Windows XP download FFDSHOW here.
To add your tables use the included game list manager.
PinballX will benefit from a multi core CPU and a quad core is recommended if using multiple displays.
PinballX includes high score features thanks to PINemHi by Dna Disturber.
Online and remote access features are available at GameEx Online.
A Lite version of PinballX is also included specifically designed for windows tablets.
Modern and higher end hardware is highly recommended for pinball cabs with two or three screens due to the demands of multiple high resolution videos and constantly loading high resolution artwork. However, PinballX itself does not demand much itself and the lite version requires next to nothing to run.
Note: PinballX is not free for commercial use. You should contact us before including or using PinballX with your products.
Here is your opportunity to get GameEx Evolution and the rest of the lifetime package at half price.
Now half price until end of November to celebrate the recent release of GameEx Evolution.
You will also get a coupon for Emumovies lifetime at half price and the first 25 lifetime pruchases starting midnight black Friday get EmuMovies free.
View the full article
- Bug fixes
- Faster playfield image/video load.
- Improved startup speed
- Improved performance
- Startup video support for other displays. Look in Mediia\Startup Videos for information on how to use
- Hides the desktop better
- The PinballX application itself has been moved to the .NET framework 4 and SharpDX from 2 and SlimDX.
- Table audio is now loaded on a thread to improve fps in front end.
- Table, DMD and Topper images have improved upscaling/downscaling and loading them stops possible frame skips in front end.
Improved startup speed and other performance improvements.
- Can now rate a table within the front end.
- Company logos can be by a year or year range. Use the following in the filename: Bally (1980), Bally (-1980), Bally (1980-), Bally (1982-1988). There is also now no fixed limit on how many you can have.
- Automatically add new and missing tables. This feature is enabled or disabled under General Settings
- Current Pin2DMD support with the existing DLLs is broken now, so I have included new working versions with the installer. Select the option for Pin2DMD when installing.
- Fixes mouse wheel not working in game manager.
- The install now defaults to a 32 bit install, for both new installs and anyone upgrading from a release prior to this one. If you are not using the 32 bit version select the option on install. It caused numerous support issues previously and it just wasn't a good idea to default to 64 bit in hindsight.
Several nice new features in this release.
- Can now zero rate tables.
- Attract mode now shows high scores on your DMD
- Select and filter the game list by ratings.
- Fixes backglass images and swf instruction cards stretching to monitor size instead of honoring display position settings.
- Fixes PinDMD 2 and PinDMD 3 not working out of the box on 32 bit installs.
Fixes controls such as screen capture and in game not working when in game.
Apologies for the delay in getting to this.
- New feature to create all videos for a systems list. Available form the game manager.
- PinballX goes into lower process speed after launching.
- Fixes x64 install on Windows 7 and below.
Turning off hide DMD for a table now also works for real DMD displays.
I am pleased to announce the first ever 64 bit pinball front end.
This release of PinballX includes both 32 bit and 64 bit version of the software and components.
Your architecture is automatically detected.
However, the issue with 64 bit applications is that any libraries or plugins that interact with them also need to be the same architecture. Thererfore at this time several plugins and other versions of XDMD will not work with the 64 bit version until the authors update them. You can though force the installer to install the 32 bit mode via the included check box. If you are using the PinDMD2 version of XDMD or are using plugins at the time of writing you should select to force install the 32 bit version. Hopefully, fully x64 versions should be available soon.
Generally 64 bit applications are not that faster but there is benefit with multimedia applications such as PinballX as they process audio, display and video. Also, not that it should be required but the application can now use more memory.
I would like to take the time to mention that PinballX is not all my work. We are supported by a lively and loyal team of contributors and moderators.
In addition several components in PinballX, most notably the Setup Wizard are the work of Ben Baker of Headsoft. The software would not be the same without these additional components and the years of help and support from Ben.
Thank you. Enjoy!
Fix: Writes the correct backglass monitor to B2S screenres.txt
- Removed per system default images/videos from installer.
- Added global default backglass and topper mp4 videos to installer.
My third and final attempt at switching to SlimDX from Managed Direct X.
We basically had to lose full screen exclusive mode for this but even without this everything still runs much smoother in the front end. FPS is perfect for me and the new video framework also runs much smoother with this now.
- Improved screen grabbing and new video recording features.
- The screen grab key now grabs screen captures for all displays and will format them automatically and save them in the most suitable location. This backglass screen grab hot key has been removed as this now grabs everything.
- New video recording feature. Available via a hot key when a table is launched or direct from the Game Manager.
- Easily created front end media for your tables.
- Videos automatically formatted and encoded to the correct size, quality and format.
- Captures and records videos for all displays automatically encoding and formatting them for you. Driver based capture such as Geforce experience and ATI is supported for the playfield too.
- Also captures pinup topper videos/rendering if available along with directly capturing the PinMAME window if detected.
- New Setup Wizard French translation by Allan.
- Default images and videos are now available per system. No DMD.mp4 etc.
Includes DNA Disturbers latest PinEMHi.
This nifty add on provides and calculates high score output for the majority of PinMAME and Future Pinball tables.
Removed thread locking opening and disposing videos
I just wanted to remind folks that I do realise videos may load a little slower with recent releases but please be aware minimum system requirements for videos are now much lower and both 4k and 60fps videos are fully supported.
- Includes the latest version of Headsofts SetupWizard
- Multi language installer and setup wizard. Better translations of the setup wizard xml files are most welcome.
- Manageable global favorites list within the front end.
- Most played and last played lists.
- These new lists and system lists have been moved to a sub menu - Lists
- Fixes SWF instructions shrunk on backglass
So the second time I tried to move things to SlimDX has been another disaster for PinballX. So I've given up on it and rolled back again to Managed DirectX with this release. All should now be good in the world.
I believe I have resolved the conflict issues and the DirectX API library has been upgraded to SlimDX again.
In addition in this release all video rendering (as in video files) is now hardware accelerated. On modern systems this means 60fps and 4k videos should not be on an issue. On low end systems video playback should not slow anything down and you should get full fps in PinballX.
- Fixes exception checking
- Fixes a surface not being disposed
- Game Manager now has a feature to import all media from the PinballX download service for an entire system.
PinballX 2.60 released
Performance is significantly improved with this release
The DirectX library has been transitioned to SlimDX with help from Ben Baker
Bass audio library has been upgraded to the latest version
The limit on company logo images has been increased to 70 from 60
Startup audio and GameEx online is working again
New 'Launch' Keyboard and Gamepad control to immediaitly launch a game and skip the info screen.
A belated happy new year from me. Enjoy
View the full article
PinballX was developed by Spesoft and Headsoft